October 28 is National Chocolate Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Chocolate:
- Chocolate comes from the Aztec word “xocolatl” which means “bitter water”.
- Switzerland is one of the top countries for chocolate consumption. The Swiss consume about 22 lbs of chocolate, per person, per year.
- Cocoa beans were used as currency by the Mayan and Aztec cultures. Perhaps this is where they saying “Money grows on trees” came from.
- Allowing chocolate to melt in your mouth produces the same or even stronger reactions as passionately kissing.
- Most cocoa comes from West Africa.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1846 (Georges-) Auguste Escoffier was born. Escoffier was called “the emperor of chefs” and “emperor of the world’s kitchens” by Emperor William II of Germany. He modernized and codified the elaborate haute cuisine created by Marie-Antoine Carême, and developed the ‘brigade de cuisine,’ system of kitchen organization. Escoffier was chef at…
View original post 115 more words